After a rough upbringing, he amasses a 150 single family house portfolio. He then begins selling these off and shifting into multifamily real estate after seeing the scale advantages.
Key Points on How To Really Find Unlimited Success Through Real Estate
- Sterling was raised in Indianapolis in a dangerous part of town. Rough experiences in his childhood motivated him to aspire for more in his life.
- In 2009 he fell in love with the real estate industry through his college roommate. He worked at his friend’s dad’s construction company in the summer.
- Sterling wasn’t good with his finances after college, but going on a self-improvement journey changed his views about himself and transformed his limiting beliefs.
- He didn’t have much money saved but knew he wanted to get into real estate investing. So Sterling found a mentor who had the capital and the knowledge to invest. He worked for him for free, but in return he could learn a lot about the industry.
- They got their first deal in 2013 together. The mentor funded the purchase price and the rehab, and Sterling did the sale.
- He got equity from that sale instead of quick money because he was thinking long-term. He received 15% of the rent.
- Sterling wanted to scale up, so he eventually ended the partnership with his mentor and found a partner to open his own company with, Sonder Investment Group.
- They used friends and family capital to buy single-family houses. Later they found outside investors and with an equity refi, cashed out the original investors.
- Eventually, Sterling grew his portfolio to 150 single-family properties, however, he realized he couldn’t scale more.
- Then in 2017, he shifted his portfolio to multi-families and in 2 years acquired a 50 unit, a 280 unit, and a 156 unit multifamily.
- Eventually he built a 600 unit multifamily portfolio. He sold a part of it recently and currently owns just under 400 units valued at about $18.9M.
- In the future, he would like to acquire more property and build an even bigger portfolio.
- Who is your success role model? Earl Nightingale
- What is your biggest success? His daughter
- What does a typical day look like for you? He wakes up around 7:30-8:00 AM and writes down his goals for the day. Throughout the day he is producing content, looking for new deals, and tries to create value in the marketplace by sharing his personal story.
- What’s your favorite quote? “We become what we think about” – Earl Nightingale
- What are your hobbies? He loves bird watching
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Gary Vaynerchuk – Jab, Jab, Right Hook
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Start with the mindset and invest in yourself.
About our Guest, Sterling White
Sterling White is a seasoned Real Estate Investor, Philanthropist, & Former World Record Attemptee who was born, raised, in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Founder of Sonder Investment Group, Sterling White Enterprises, and involved in other business partnerships.
For more than a decade, Sterling has contributed to helping others become successful in the real estate industry. Sterling’s primary specialties include Sales, Marketing, Crowdfunding, Buy & Hold Investing, Investment Properties, and many more.