9/11 causes his current industry to have massive layoffs, so he becomes a realtor in 2002 and grows a successful team. But the 2008 recession and some personal things cause him to hit rock bottom and contemplate suicide. He bounces back from here though and has scaled up to very impressive numbers, and he shares all of this with us.
Key Points To Becoming Successful
- Graduated college in 1989 and started working
- Spent some time on the west coast teaching golf
- Met his wife and moved with her to Charlotte North Carolina
- Went to Ukraine with his wife and adopted his two children
- Moved from Charlotte North Carolina to Atlanta Georgia in 2002
- While trying to sell his house in Charlotte he had an awful experience with the two real estate agents he used
- He realized if they could be successful with their terrible work ethics he could too
- Matt was in the material handling business at the time, but after 9-11 he was let go because of changes in the industry
- He shifted gears and got in the real estate business
- During the recession in 2007, his son was diagnosed with an incurable disease
- Matt and his wife had to pay $25,000 a month for their child's medicine
- It got to the point where they couldn't afford it anymore and Matt was going to kill himself. After he died his wife could use his life insurance money to support their child.
- Realized a lot of the those thoughts originated from his alcoholism. Got sober and has been for the last 10 years
- Now he is running a successful real estate business with over 150 units
- Who is your success role model? Keller Williams
- What is your biggest success? Staying sober for 10 years
- What does a typical day for you look like? He is up at 7:00 a.m., tries to spend some time with his wife, at the office by 8:00 a.m., home around 5:00 p.m., then he will try to run or go play tennis
- What is your favorite quote? "You become the average of the 5 people you hang around the most"
- What are your hobbies? Golf, tennis, and paddle boarding
- What is the best business book you've read? The Seven Levels of Communication by Micheal Maher
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Take a chance and do what you really want to do
About Our Guest, Matt Hermes
Matt Hermes is the CEO and founder of the Hermes Realty Group of Keller Williams Realty in Duluth, Georgia. After graduating from East Carolina University, with a degree in Mass Communications, he headed west to fulfill a dream of being a professional golfer and golf teaching professional.
Matt began his real estate career in 2002 and since that time has developed one of the largest real estate businesses in the Atlanta metro market. The Hermes Realty Group is a Team of 12 agents working to meet and more importantly exceed their clients needs.
Experience and Expertise
Matt and his Team of agents have been one of the leading Realtors in the Atlanta metro market since 2002. The Hermes Realty Group focuses on helping their clients buy, sell and invest in residential real estate. The Teams expertise in new and resale residential home sales has ranked them in the Top 5 agents in the Atlanta market for a number of years. This success has also allowed Matt to be in the top 1% of all Keller Williams agents nationwide as well as ranked by Real Trends as one of America’s Best Real Agents in 2015 and 2016.
The Hermes Realty Group has excelled in developing a high level referral based business and has become a expert in developing a Farming based program and system he and his Team use to dominate his local farm with a 25% market share. The system based on a 30 point program can provide any agent a game plan and process to step into a Farm area and earn market share quickly and without a large budget.
After sharing a “story” with a small group of agents in 2012 about his transition out of bankruptcy and self inflicted personal despair, Matt made the decision to take his message and share it to anyone who needs to hear it. His story titled “Victim to Victorious” allows his listener to realize we all can overcome adversity in both their personal and professional lives.
Matt revived his career and family life after challenging personal (alcoholism) and family events (loss of a child’s sight and rare genetic disease with another child) took him from a high producing agent to losing everything he owned and now back to being recognized as one of the Top agents in the country.