Our guest today shares how he started a tech company focused on real estate. He then gets some battle scars from the 2008 recession, which leads him to become a top executive at an aerospace company. He plans to exit that soon to focus on his business and teaches us the 3 things to do to leave a job correctly.
Key Points from Real Estate and Creating a Brand, with Alex Sanfilippo
- Alex has been a life long entrepreneur, he started out selling used golf balls like Wealth Junkies' own Will Harvey
- Before he was selling used golf balls, he was running a lemonade stand
- While growing up Alex became fascinated with business more than school
- By the time he was 18 he was ready to invest in real estate
- While he was 16 he and his business partner realized that there was a need for a online house tour service
- Alex and his partner developed a software that would allow people to better tour houses online by stitching picture together to give users a better sense of space
- He started getting into real estate just as the 2008 housing crash happened and it forced him to sell the software he made to help make ends meet
- The crash forced him out of the real estate business so he started looking for a bulletproof industry that would give him some security
- Settled on the aerospace industry and got a job at his Dad's company
- His Dad sold the company by Alex stuck around and worked his way up from a part time receiving position to what he is now, which is a senior executive
- Who is your success role model? Michael Hyatt
- What is your biggest success? The friendships he's built through his life
- What does a typical day for you look like? Alex's mornings start with the night before, he lays out his clothes, he makes his breakfast, mornings are extremely streamlined and require no decision making, he gets in his car and he heads off to work, he checks his calendar and he gets to it
- What is your favorite quote? "The best time to plant a tree is 25 years ago. The second best time is today"
- What are your hobbies? Business, real estate, and swimming
- What is the best business book you've read? Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Get clear with what you're doing, get really focused, get clear. Make sure people understand exactly what it is that you're trying to do, and then focus on that one thing. Find that niche and don't be too broad in today's world because there are so many different brands already.
About our Guest, Alex Sanfilippo
Alex Sanfilippo is the host of the top 20 entrepreneurship podcast, Creating a Brand, and the founder of the Creating a Brand Community, an online mastermind/tribe for entrepreneurs. He is passionate about helping others excel in life and business. To learn more and to join the community, visit CreatingaBrand.com.