Today on Multifamily Monday we talk to someone who leaves her job in Israel as a commercial real estate lawyer. She came to the U.S. about 5 years ago and started from scratch. Since then she has built a wildly successful syndication company and has truly gone from rags to riches owning over 2,000 units now.
Key Points on the Journey From Rags to Riches
- The CEO and founder of Blue Lake Capital
- Worked as a commercial real estate lawyer and then as a property manager in Israel
- Left Israel five years ago and came to the U.S.
- Went from rags to riches after leaving Israel
- Attended MIT and received her MBA degree then moved to California
- Took classes that helped broaden her views on real estate by not focusing on the the business side of real estate but the legal side as well
- Began working on multifamily investments
- Created a website, a blog, and then a podcast to help attract investors
- Had her first big deal lined up and went to talk to her mentor about it only to find he was working on the same deal with his company
- The seller decided to go with her mentor for the deal but she was offered a partnership with her mentor
- Was put in charge of investor relations and things snowballed from there
- Was able to buy more proprieties to help expand her wealth
- Has a goal to grow her company to be worth $1 billion
- Who is your success role model? Sam Zell
- What is your biggest success? Closing her first deal.
- What does a typical day look like for you? Wake up at 7:00 a.m., speak with investors, do something interesting like record, has dinner with her husband, then works until about 1:00 a.m.
- What is your favorite quote? Every day is a Monday
- What are your hobbies? Skiing and surfing
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Influence by Robert Cialdini
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Mindset is incredibly important, if you believe in yourself you can do whatever you set your mind to.
About Our Guest Ellie Perlman
Ellie Perlman is a real estate investor who owns multifamily properties across the U.S. She is the Founder and CEO of Blue Lake Capital, a real estate investing firm specializing in multifamily investments. At Blue Lake Capital, Ellie helps investors grow their wealth by investing alongside her in large deals. Ellie holds Masters in Law and an MBA from MIT Sloan School of Management. She started her career as a commercial real estate lawyer, leading real estate transactions for Israel’s largest real estate company. Later, she transitioned to a property manager role and oversaw properties worth over $100MM. Ellie is a Forbes author on real estate investing, the host of the podcast "Unbelievable Real Estate Stories" and a writer of a weekly blog you can find at www.ellieperlman.com. She is a true rags to riches story.
Ellie hosts a weekly podcast that brings the audience untold stories of real estate investing. Among her guests, you will find real estate entrepreneurs, passive investors, syndicators, and other professionals. Her guests bring the podcast's listeners amazing, intriguing, and unbelievable stories about real estate investing. In her current second season, "REady2Scale", Ellie and and her guest analyze critical lessons learned, with a sharp focus into 3 key areas of being successful in real estate investing: assets, process, and strategies. These insights come from guest from that are some of the most successful real estate investors, innovators, developers, and more from around the globe!