Consulting for Fortune 100 companies for over 20 years, he sets out to be his own boss. Through life coaching, he helps business owners and entrepreneurs attack and profit from the tough conversations that we are all avoiding, to help shape your confidence, success and relationships.
Key Points to Profit on Tough Conversations
- David started his career as an actuary.
- At around age 20-23, a friend suggested that he get into a personal growth program as he wasn’t happy in his marriage.
- He realized the importance of self-care and eventually started coaching.
- As he saw people change their lives in the program he also realized that he wanted to be true to himself. He quit his job and never went back to corporate life again.
- First, he took out a sabbatical and started singing in bars as this was one of his oldest dreams.
- After 9 months, he needed some money and started doing actuary consulting on the side. However, he realized he didn’t want to do that either and became a business coach.
- It took him 3 years to earn 6 figures as a coach, having around 23 clients at a time.
- He was one of the early adopters of SEO and using Google Ads to promote his business.
- Along with coaching, he created 10 digital products, 15 websites, CDs, and DVDs. They were selling very well, so he ended up letting coaching go and was able to scale up.
- This later resulted in burnout as he realized he was the happiest when he was coaching. He wanted to start life and business coaching again.
- Now he is coaching with 15 high performers with an income level of $200k. Then in his free time, he coaches people in prisons or does a podcast.
- In the future, he wants to help more people speak their truth and he is thinking about working with companies and whole teams. He recently launched a program called Tough Conversations Spot Coaching where companies can hire him for their teams.
- Who is your success role model? Tim Minchin
- What is your biggest success? He is happily divorced from a wonderful woman. After 20 years of being divorced, he went and stayed with her, her new husband and their six-year-old child last year. And he thinks that's a wonderful success story.
- What does a typical day look like for you? He wakes up, drinks a cup of tea, and does podcast interviews and client sessions all day. Around 3 o’clock he takes out his dog and winds down.
- What’s your favorite quote? “The tough conversations we haven’t had form the boundaries of our world.” – his own quote
- What are your hobbies? He likes chess and programming.
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Michael Gerber – The E Myth
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Ask the question: If I died 6 months from now, would I be happy with how I’m living my life right now?
About our Guest David Wood
A former Consulting Actuary to Fortune 100 companies – including Sony Music, Chanel, and Exxon – David left his cushy Park Avenue job 20 years ago to build the world’s largest coaching business. He became #1 on Google for “life coaching”, serving an audience of 150,000 coaches, and coaching thousands of hours in 12 countries around the globe.
Alongside his clients’ successes, David is no stranger to overcoming challenges himself, having survived a full collapse of his paraglider and a fractured spine, witnessing the death of his sister at age seven, anxiety and depression, and a national Gong Show!
He is the author of "Get Paid For Who You Are," with foreword by Jack Canfield. He was nominated to the Transformational Leadership Council alongside such thought leaders as Don Miguel Ruiz, John Gray, and Presidential Candidate Marianne Williamson.
David believes that the tough conversations we avoid, are our doorways to confidence, success,profit and love. They become the defining moments which shape our careers, our relationships, and our lives. He coaches high performing entrepreneurs, executives and teams – and now prison inmates – to create amazing results and deep connection. One tough conversation at a time.