Today we talk to someone who started law school, then left to move in with Elon Musk and be part of a wildly successful tech startup with him. And ultimately he came back and started a law firm that helps people prepare their company to be sold.
Key Points on Going from a Powerful Tech Startup to Owning a Law Firm, with J.P. McAvoy
- Went to college in Queens university in Kingston, Ontario
- While he was at college he met Elon and Kimbal Musk
- After he finished his undergraduate degree, he went off to law school but stayed in contact with the Musks as they started their first successful business as a tech startup
- They offered him a job, which he accepted. So he left law school and joined their company
- Lived with Elon Musk while they were starting the first company and tech startup
- Learned to stay out of the way of the visionaries and work to support their vision while he was working with Elon
- McAvoy worked with a number of other startups after working with Elon Musk before starting his own entrepreneurial venture by starting his own law firm
- Was given two years to return to law school, after leaving to join Elon's company and they sold the company right before that two year window was up
- Returned to law school and finished getting his law degree
- His law firm services clients not just in the U.S. and Canada but also overseas in Europe and Asia
- His law firm focuses on providing assistance to business owners for any issues they might experience
- J.P. has his own podcast and just finished his book alongside his law firm
- Who is your success role model? His long time mentor and friend
- What is your biggest success? His law firm and having the family he has
- What does a typical day for you look like? Wake up at, 6:45 a.m., get his kids fed and ready for school, head to the office or the gym, then meetings and legal work, pick up dinner for his family then head home to write something or work on his own podcast
- What is your favorite quote? "If you plan to fail, you are planning to fail" -Ben Franklin
- What are your hobbies? He is a golfer in the summer, a hockey player in the winter but his real love is spending time at his cottage
- What is the best business book you have read? The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephan Covey
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Sincerely take the first steps, you need to get moving to build up momentum to get where you are trying to go
About our Guest, J.P. McAvoy
JP McAvoy is the founder and Managing Partner of Conduct Law and practices corporate and commercial law; and is also a business consultant with CPLS, P.A. He acts for clients buying, selling, and starting up businesses. J.P. represents a diverse range of corporations in Canada, the United States, and Asia.
In addition, JP is the host of a The Millionaire’s Lawyer, a 5 star rated podcast on a range of topics from business, legal and accounting perspectives.
In his spare time, JP can be found on the golf course or spending time with his wife, daughter and son at the cottage. JP travels frequently, and might be in your area next!
Show: The Millionaire's Lawyer