He owns a very successful law firm and everything is going perfect. Then he gets diagnosed with Leukemia and has to file for bankruptcy. From here at ground zero he starts over and builds a massive real estate empire and teaches us to live our best life.
Key Points to Obtain Financial Freedom with Jeff Holst
- He started out in real estate investing before the housing market crash
- Jeff started out early, renting out spare rooms in his house before attending law school
- He left the idea of real estate behind him when he started law school
- Finished law school and started his own practice
- He married his wife and saw his life finally coming together
- The other attorney in his practice left his practice
- Traveled to Peru, which was the last thing on his bucket list
- Jeff was diagnosed with leukemia a week after he returned to the U.S.
- He went bankrupt because his practice went from two attorneys to zero
- Started working with a trucking company and put money towards real estate because he wanted financial freedom even if he couldn't work
- Started to transition from single family homes to multifamily homes
- Has now built a massive real estate empire and has complete financial freedom
- Who is your success role model? His father and Robert Kiyosaki
- What is your biggest success? Being able to live the life he wants to live because he has financial freedom
- What does a typical day for you look like? He doesn't have a set schedule: he underwrites deals, he talks to people about real estate, he goes out to get drinks with friends
- What is your favorite quote? The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that successful act before they have all of the possible information
- What are your hobbies? Reading, scuba diving, reading, and traveling
- What is the best business book you've read? Crushing it in Multifamily Real Estate by Brian Murray
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Decide what success means to you
About our Guest, Jeffrey Holst
Jeff is a recovering attorney who spends his time as a real estate investor. Jeff graduated early and with honors from Michigan State College of Law where he was the graduating class speaker. He also holds a M.B.A.
At 30 years old, Jeff checked the last item off his personal bucket list by climbing Machu Picchu. He was on top of the world. As he stood looking down at the lost Incan city, he had been living the life of his dreams. He was well traveled, having previously visited the Pyramids in Egypt, climbed to the top of Mt Sinai, swam with sharks in Belize, and backpacked alone around Europe. Jeff married the girl of his dreams. He had a beautiful house in the suburbs and a thriving law practice. Two weeks later, he was in the hospital dying. His business was in disarray, his wife was barely holding it together and he was on his way to bankruptcy.
Today, at 41 years old, just over a decade later, Jeff is back on top. He is a millionaire, with over 140 residential units in his personal portfolio. He also owns multiple commercial properties. Jeff is still married and continues to travel extensively. He is also co-host of the Old Fashioned Real Estate Show where the hosts drink bourbon old fashioned's and talk about real estate.