One of the few doctors we've had on the show hones her craft working 7 years in charge of a major mission at NASA. She then decides to leave and start a consultancy focused on helping companies build internal teams.
Key Points on Launching a Successful Consultancy with Dr. Rachel MK Headley
- Started working as an image scientist and realized that the job wasn't going to be for her
- Even though she wasn't enjoying her job much, she went back to school and got her master's degree and then her PhD in geography
- After that Dr. Headley started working with the United Nations
- She begins to work her way up the chain but she gets lost in the monotony of the job
- Switches gears and starts working on the operational side of the company
- While working in the operational division she supported the 40,000 different people in the user community
- While in working on the Landsat program she helped the team reorganize the entire business plan to a free model
- During the reorganization, her team worked really well while many other teams started to fall apart
- When she realized this, she started analyzing what her teams did differently than those that failed
- Then she left her job and started working as a consultant
- Her consultancy firm works to improve the teams found in other companies
- Who is your success role model? Her parents
- What is your biggest success? Being a single mom and being able to balance her work and her child
- What does a typical day for you look like? She has a vary varied schedule because she is on the road for about half of the year
- What is your favorite quote? "You are who you surround yourself with"
- What are your hobbies? Reading, hiking, and working out
- What is the best business book you've read? Fearless Leadership by Corey Lorens
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Believe you can do it and be willing to put in the work to achieve it
About our Guest, Dr. Rachel MK Headley
Clear, strategic communication paired with accountability and trust is the key to productive and successful work environments. Rose Group International (RGI), specializes in leadership development where the results include strategic alignment, clear communication within the organization, strong situational awareness, and a shared vision of excellence to create a work environment where staff, managers, senior managers, directors, and partners can thrive. Their programs are based on their book iX Leadership: Create High-Five Cultures and Guide Transformation.
RGI is Value Driven and People Focused. We Have Fun and Give Back. We love working with organizations with aligned values, and we would be honored to work with you and contribute to your continued passionate delivery of exceptional service. Our proprietary method of assessing and supporting an organization’s culture (or internal experience (iX)), paired with our carefully curated leadership development tools ensure a marked uplevel in productivity, engagement, and enthusiasm in your teams.