Today we talk to someone who goes to college, becomes a teacher but then realizes he needs to bring home more money. He shares how he has done that with different side hustles and ultimately talks about his main passion. Learn how you can find a side hustle in anything!
Key Points on the Side Hustle, with Tyler Christensen
- While Tyler was still in high school he realized he wanted to be a school teacher
- At the same time he realized that school teachers don't make a lot of money so he was looking for ways to fill the gaps
- He stayed in college for awhile, and got a bunch of degrees
- Tyler started teaching and attending a master's program full time at night
- He was living a very hectic life for not a lot of money so he started branching out
- Ended up becoming a college professor
- At the same time, he still wasn't making very much money
- One of his biggest side hustles was investing in the stock market very early in his life
- He and his wife were struggling financially at the time but they made it a mission to invest so they could have a reserve
- Tyler also taught himself how to design websites, he didn't ever make much money with it but it was still a very useful skill for him to build
- He ended up designing websites for celebrities and athletes
- Tyler has so many different side hustles you really just need to listen to the podcast to hear about them all
- Who is your success role model? Pat Flynn and one of Tyler's professors
- What is your biggest success? Raising his kids the way he has
- What does a typical day for you look like? Get up at 4:00 or 4:30, check email and do social media, head to work by 5:00, he teaches from 7:30 to 3:30, he'll work on lesson plans and business stuff until 5:30 p.m., then he heads home and spends time with his family until he goes to bed around 10:30
- What is your favorite quote? "We are what we repeatedly do"
- What are your hobbies? Working on his businesses and running
- What is the best business book you've read? Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Four Hour Work Week
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Start now
About our Guest, Tyler Christensen
Tyler Christensen is a teacher, author, speaker, and family man.
As a teacher Tyler has spent 15 years in classrooms as an elementary, middle school, and university instructor. His passion for literacy, the development of 21st century skills, and college preparation has led to various speaking engagements across the country. He is the founder of a national recruiting service for student-athletes (D1 Recruiting) as well as an academic journal for those preparing to teach (The Journal on Best Teaching Practices). His newest education project—Elementary Teacher Tips—is a resources created to help teachers work smarter, make a greater impact, and have more fun.
Tyler is the author of Unlocking the POWER of Transformation, How to Get FREE Stuff with Online Product Reviews and Contacting College Coaches: A Guide for High School Football Players Looking to Land a D1 College Scholarship. He covers BYU football recruiting for BYU Insider and as a contributing analyst for the Deseret News.
Tyler is also the founder of Tanager Media, a small web design firm that focuses on personal and celebrity brands. His clients include Sage Brocklebank (actor, Psych), Kyle Collinsworth (professional basketball player), and Patrick Sabongui (actor, The Flash).
Part of Tyler's own transformation story includes losing 100 pounds and going from not being able to run a full mile in 2018 to completing multiple marathons and a 52.4 double marathon in 2019. Tyler shares what he's learned about health and fitness on his website and podcast After the Run.
When he's not teaching, working on his businesses, or training for a race Tyler is doing his most important work–spending time with his incredible wife and four amazing kids.