After making 7 figures in a tech company IPO, he parlays it into several pizza shops until those go horribly south. After some rough years, he discovers the power of multifamily real estate and has made it his mission to teach others how to achieve financial freedom through multifamily investing.
Key Points on How To Live A Financially Free Life Through Real Estate
- Michael didn’t grow up with an entrepreneurial mindset, so he got a computer science degree and started to work in a W2 job.
- In the late 90s, he joined a software startup called webMethods. After their launch at the beginning of 2000, they became the most successful software IPO in history at the time.
- Although it was a big success at the beginning, it soon turned into a 9-5 job for Michael.
- After reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad in 2004, he got inspired to pursue financial freedom.
- Michael got very passionate about real estate investing. He read as many books as he could about the topic and did various courses.
- At first, he was planning to get into the restaurant business. He started a pizza franchise but due to the recession, he lost all his savings.
- At this time, he was already flipping single-family houses. After recovering from his pizza restaurant failure, he got into multifamily. Investing in a 12-unit in Washington DC changed his whole view on real estate. He doubled down on multifamily.
- Michael started blogging about his experiences with raising capital and syndication.
- His blog turned into one of the leading educational platforms in the industry. He teaches people how to syndicate apartment buildings, how to joint venture with each other, and how to market themself to raise capital.
- Michael’s company owns about $75M of real estate right now mostly in the southeast part of the country. The company owns about 1700 units.
- When it comes to real estate investing, Michael suggests an open mind and visualizing success. He wrote a book about it, called Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing.
- For the people who want to jump right into multifamily without any single-family experience, Michael recommends to build a great team and reference them with confidence.
- In the future, he would like to focus on building his team and eventually scale up to 10k units.
- Who is your success role model? Ken McElroy
- What is your biggest success? Being financially free.
- What does a typical day look like for you? He gets up at 6.00 AM and does Miracle Morning. Then he works out and eats breakfast with his family. He works from home during the day, goes out for lunch, and finishes work around 5:30 PM.
- What’s your favorite quote? “It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped” – Tony Robbins
- What are your hobbies? He loves to travel, playing tennis, and technology.
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Hal Elrod – The Miracle Morning, Hal Elrod – The Miracle Equation, Gary Keller – The ONE Thing
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Decide that you want to be successful and be consistent.
About our Guest, Michel Blank
Michael Blank is a leading authority on apartment building investing in the United States. He’s passionate about helping others become financially free in 3-5 years by investing in apartment building deals with a special focus on raising money.
Through his investment company, he controls over $30 million in performing multifamily assets all over the United States and has raised over $8M. In addition to his own investing activities, he’s helped students purchase over 2,000 units valued at over $87M through his unique “Deal Desk” and training programs.