An immigrant from Denmark, he grinds through the corporate world until becoming a multifamily real estate investor. Now, he has thousands of units under his belt and aims to help others reach their financial freedom goals!
Key Points on How To Leave The Corporate World And Become An Investor
- Jens was born in Denmark and moved to the US in 1996.
- In the beginning, he followed the typical model: get educated, work a W2 job, and save up for a 401k.
- A couple of years ago, Jens discovered multifamily investing. According to him, multifamily real estate is a very reliable investment as it doesn’t lose it’s value on the market quickly.
- He never got into single-family investing or any rental properties before starting multifamily.
- Jens got connected with a broker in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and within a 6-months period, he got a couple of fourplexes and an 11 unit.
- He came up with the financing by saving up in his daytime job. His first properties were in the lower price range, around $150k each, so he could put down 25% for them.
- Jens wasn’t involved in the operation, he used third party management.
- His advice to be successful in multifamily investing is to build good banking relationships, grow your network, and nurture your investors over time.
- Recently, Jens got into syndication. He ended up partnering with one of his mentors, Rod Khleif.
- He also started multifamily coaching on the side to help others.
- Jens still has a W2 job but is planning to leave it later this year to focus on multifamily full time.
- In the future, Jens would like to build a stronger team, continue coaching, and grow his company.
- Who is your success role model? Steve Jobs
- What is your biggest success? Moving from a small danish town to a different country, adapting to the lifestyle, and being successful.
- What does a typical day look like for you? He wakes up at 5:00 AM and does an adaptation of the Miracle Morning. Then he goes to work and exercises an hour during lunchtime. After his W2 job, he works 2-3 hours on his multifamily business or on coaching.
- What’s your favorite quote? “Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.” Henry Ford
- What are your hobbies? He loves everything outdoors like mountain biking, skiing, or hiking.
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Michael Gerber – The E Myth
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Work on yourself every day and eventually the changes will accumulate.
About our Guest, Jens Nielsen
Jens is originally from Denmark, where he worked various jobs from a young age. In 1994, he was offered a job in London, and decided to take the leap to explore the world; that job quickly let him transfer to the United States where he has lived since 1996.
After a successful career in telecommunications and IT, Jens shifted his focus from being an employee to becoming an entrepreneur. Multifamily real estate investing seemed the obvious choice due to the many benefits, so in 2016 he started investing and is currently the owner of 78 apartment units and mobile home lots in New Mexico and Colorado.
After the success as a KP, Jens has co-sponsored multi-family syndications specializing in underwriting, due diligence, capital raising and investor relations. In 2019 Jens raised ~$1.5M for 3 deals totaling over 650 units.
Jens has also passively invested in 14 syndications/private investments, spanning over 800 apartment units, 2,000 mobile park lots, and over 6000 storage units plus mortgage note funds and private money lending.
His mission is to get more people to invest in private placements for the strong cash flow and equity growth, and his company mission is to "Open Doors to your secure financial future through multifamily investing."
Jens is passionate about teaching and helping others achieve success. He is using his knowledge and skills to coach and train new students in multifamily real state investing. In 2019 alone, Jens has coached 10 students and conducted over 100 coaching calls.
The next step in his entrepreneurial journey is to help his students close larger deals by partnering with them to complement their strengths.
He lives in SW Colorado with his wife and two dogs. When he is not looking for the next deal, Jens is riding his bike, skiing, or hiking.