He builds a sustainable fashion care company 6 years ago that is incredibly successful to this day. He then exited that venture and tells us all about it, including what he is doing now.
Key Points on building a Sustainable Fashion Care Company, with Caner Veli
- Started his entrepreneurial career young getting other kids to sell candy and Tamagatchis on the playground
- Caner never fit into the corporate world because he always wanted to do bigger things
- Six years ago, Caner started a sustainable fashion company called Liquid Proof
- He did this because fashion is the second largest polluter on the planet
- Caner got the idea to start his company because of his love for nature and the planet he has had since he was a kid
- Liquid proof is a long lasting, odorless, non-toxic spray that coats clothes and prevents them from being ruined by rain and other liquids
- Liquid proof lasts significantly longer than other protective sprays and is also much more sustainable
- While he was developing Liquid proof, Caner was working as an insurance headhunter
- He developing a lot of sales skills working with the insurance company
- Despite the good money Caner was making at the insurance company, he wanted to do something other than make money
- Caner is now looking to scale his company and also teach other people how to replicate his success
- Who is your success role model? Gary Vaynerchuk
- What is your biggest success? His TedX Talk
- What does a typical day for you look like? He gets up around 6:00, and spends most of his day connecting with people and clients
- What is your favorite quote? "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable"
- What are your hobbies? Going to the gym and cooking
- What is the best business book you've read? Atomic Habits
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Take action
About our Guest, Caner Veli
Six years ago I took a leap of faith. Like many great adventures, Liquiproof was born from a simple problem; I was tired of having my shoes and clothes damaged by the Great British weather and accidental spills. I couldn’t find protection or care solutions that lasted longer than a few weeks and didn’t damage my belongings and the environment.
I started my research and quickly realized the scale of the problem – the fashion industry is one of the largest polluters to the world. For example, 33 million pairs of shoes end up in UK landfills per year! With a passion for fashion, the environment and science (oh, and mild OCD tendencies) I set out to solve that problem.
From a lab in London, one of the fashion, tech and design centers of the world, Liquiproof was born. Everyone told me I was mad and that my idea was bad. Profitable and stocked in 160 stores within 6 months and launch.
Liquiproof grew into one of the leading sustainable fashion care brands working with eco-conscious clients from London cobblers to luxury fashion houses, street-wear retailers and international retail powerhouses such as; Burberry, Selfridges, Liberty of London, END Clothing, Nordstrom x Nike, ASOS, John Lewis, Tessuti and IKEA.
In short, Liquiproof is life insurance for fashion items. Liquiproof combats the impact of the fashion industry on the planet while helping consumers and brands become more sustainable. In 2016, after an impressive pitch I successfully gained one of the largest single investments on BBC Dragons Den from fashion mogul Touker Suleyman with the pitch being seen by over 2.5million viewers.
Don't worry, the wine wasn't drinkable.