If you have spent any amount of time on Facebook, there is very little doubt that you have not been asked to join some Facebook Groups. It is part of the fabric that binds Facebook users to their interests, hobbies, business colleagues, and of course, cute dog and kitten photos.
Use Your Member Status To Gain Exposure For Your Business
Using these groups is a great way to gain exposure for your new or growing business but there are some things you should and should not do, in order to be more successful.
5 Things That You Should Not Do Inside Facebook Groups
- Do not post links directly to your business. Be sure to read the page rules for that particular group. Many groups prohibit you from promoting your own business by posting links. This is a quick way to get you banned from multiple groups.
- Don't be a wall flower! People or companies put together Facebook Groups to engage with their audience at a more personal level. Your engagement with the admins, moderators, and other group members is what makes the group environment better.
- Don't be rude or insulting to others. The old adage "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a good rule of thumb to follow in Facebook Groups. It's okay to have a differing opinion but people don't join groups to be insulted or bullied.
- Don't post irrelevant content. Let's say for example, you've joined a group about entrepreneurship . It makes absolutely no sense to create a post about dog's visit to the dog park. Be a contributor but be relevant.
- Don't post the same article or content post to every group you belong to. Nothing drives other group members more crazy than seeing your post show up in twenty different places. It ends up looking like spam and you will eventually be ignored by many. Pick the most appropriate places to drop your content and build up your following.
The Right Way To Gain Exposure For Your Business Inside Of Facebook Groups
Facebook Groups are a great place to gain exposure for your growing business, when done properly. Let's look at some of the best ways to utilize your status as a member of a group page.
Best Ways To Utilize Your Status As A Facebook Groups Member
- Be active! Imagine you are attending a networking event in your local city. Are you going to be that person that stands in the corner and doesn't talk with anybody? Sadly, there are many people that actually do that when attending local events but it is usually because they are shy or lack networking skills. Being active on social media and in groups on Facebook, allows you to sit behind your computer screen or phone. This will help eliminate the fear of networking that many people have. Engage, engage, engage!
- Ask questions. A great way to gain exposure within a group page is to ask questions. By asking a question, you are prompting people to engage with your post and giving them a reason to speak to you. When they respond, always engage them back and don't hesitate to ask them a follow-up question to help keep the conversation going. This also encourages others to chime in because the post receives more overall engagement and stays near the top of the group feed.
- Contribute relevant content. If you are an expert in your field AND it is appropriate and relevant to the group, feel free to contribute relevant content. Try to avoid posting links to articles in the main post. Many group admins frown upon posting links because it takes people away from the group. Long posts that are written by you are usually encouraged though. Feel free to express yourself but remember, you're networking, not advertising.
- Make sure your personal profile reflects your business. Many people like to consider Facebook for their "personal life" and use that as an excuse to never mention their business in their personal profile. The truth is that people that engage with you in Facebook Groups are going to click on your name to see your personal profile. Consider that your opportunity to have them take a sneak peek at the business that you're trying to grow. Be proud of your business. Don't hide it.
- Invite others to join the Facebook Groups that you are engaging with. Most groups allow you to invite others. If you have a group of friends that you believe will benefit from being in the group, invite them to join. The admins and moderators will appreciate the extra members in the group and you'll have people to engage with right from the very start.
- Don't be afraid to let people know what you do but be smart. Again, you are networking not advertising. Nobody likes the person at the live event that is simply trying to collect as many business cards as possible so that they can go home and add you to their mailing lists. Focus on building quality conversations. From there, you can easily send a friend request to certain individuals and begin to engage them outside the group, if you believe they may be a good fit. Be polite, be professional, and build your business the right way.
Think of your participation in various Facebook Groups as your way of planting seeds for your business. Those seeds need to be cared for with daily attention to sunlight and watering. Be an active participant and watch the seeds grow. If you plant a seed (joining a Facebook Group) but never water it or provide it sunlight, it stands very little chance of growing or surviving.
If you're an entrepreneur or looking to start or grow a business, consider joining the Wealth Junkies group page and plant your seed. We welcome new members and look forward to engaging with you.