After a near-death heart attack at a young age, he turned his life around. As the chairman and CEO of a diversified investment holdings company, he aims to change the lives of thousands through his vision and business practices.
Key Points on Fundamentals Of Building A Monumental Business You Need To Know
- Angelo grew up in an abusive and broken household. As a teenager, he was morbidly obese and used drugs and alcohol.
- At the age of 17, he suffered a heart attack and almost lost his life. This event was the catalyst to change his life for the better.
- Angelo went to the University of Houston for finance and economics in 2002, where he learned about real estate investing. He started working in Ameriquest Mortgage in 2005.
- In 2007, after saving up a lot at Ameriquest, he started his own brokerage company and slowly scaled it up.
- In the beginning, they only focused on mastering lending.
- Once they mastered that, they branched out to multifamily and syndication.
- Along with his real estate career, he also got into investing in the markets and trading for passive investment.
- After scaling up the company, Angelo’s main focus has been giving back to his employees and shareholders. One example is that he gives equity to everyone working in the company.
- Today, Angelo has a holding company which is a diversified investment company. His team does real estate investments, mortgage-backed securities, and trades public and private equity.
- He also built a mentorship course, the Real Estate University, where he is teaching about real estate and funding mortgages. His course is over 1000 hours long.
- In the future, Angelo would like to keep growing and add value to his company and find and help more talent.
- Who is your success role model? Warren Buffet
- What is your biggest success? Watching his children grow and seeing his team growing and succeeding.
- What does a typical day look like for you? He wakes up around 7 AM, eats breakfast, and checks the futures market. Then he meets with his team. During the day he shoots podcasts or videos, meets clients and investors. His workdays are around 16 hours long.
- What’s your favorite quote? “Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- What are your hobbies? He loves watching baseball and go fishing and he is a big foodie.
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Ray Dalio – Principles, Brad Stone – The Everything Store
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Spend a lot of time knowing yourself and figure out who you are. Then don’t waste any time, just get into what you want today!
About our Guest, Angelo Christian
Angelo Christian is an investor and entrepreneur in the United States. He is the Chairman and CEO of Christian Financial a Diversified Investment Holdings Company. Angelo resides in Houston, Texas with his loving family, happily married and proud father of three aspiring children. He has been featured in Bloomberg, CNN, Good Morning America, Great Day Houston, Houston Chronicle, Business Insider. He has helped tens of thousands of people transform with his influential coaching, Real Estate University, wealth management, and mortgage banking. My vision is to inspire millions of people to max out their life to reach the highest version of themselves. Make our customers feel like rock stars and give all of them the red-carpet treatment they deserve. To create a multibillion-dollar company that is partner-owned and operated. Giving the hard-working, loyal, dedicated people on the team ownership into one of the greatest, enduring organizations on the planet.
His number: 832-431-6331
- Wealth Junkies
- Rich Dad Poor Dad
- 4 Hour Work Week
- 10X Rule
Angelo Christian is an entrepreneur, investor, and author. He is noted as one of the top producing loan originators in the US. He has helped thousands of people with his coaching on wealth management and mortgage banking. Today he shares with us how he reached this incredible success.
Angelo grew up in a very poor, verbally, and physically abusive family. His parents never owned a home and they were moving from house to house constantly. He had a broken childhood and as a result of that Angelo didn’t have healthy habits growing up. He was morbidly obese and was experimenting with drugs and alcohol from an early age.
Angelo dropped out of school because he was verbally and physically abused by students and teachers for being obese. He was affected mentally so much that he couldn’t handle school anymore.
Angelo hit rock bottom when he was 17 years old. He was 400 pounds and had a near-fatal heart attack. This opened his eyes and made him realize how he was constantly running up against a brick wall. The last straw for him was when he was especially interested in a girl, but she wouldn’t even talk to him because he was overweight. He didn’t have a girlfriend up until that time. He knew he needed to change his life somehow.
The change came one day when Angelo was walking home from work. He was listening to a song from the Rocky movie and suddenly he felt a lightning bolt of inspiration. At that moment, he felt like he could do anything. He started running as fast as he could, even though he was 400 pounds and had never run before in his life.
From that point on, Angelo started exercising. He lost all the weight and got into a very good shape. This was the catalyst to change other aspects of his life too. He enrolled himself in school again, got his GED, went to the University of Houston, and got a degree in finance and economics. One thing led to another as he started to let go of his limiting beliefs.
He immersed himself in learning because he wanted to change and leave all the pressure from his past behind. Angelo encourages everyone to believe that everything is possible. If you work enough for it and believe in it, then you can do anything!
Mastering a skill
After getting a degree in finance and economics in 2002, Angelo got very interested in real estate investing. He tried to learn about it as much as possible. In 2005 he started working for Ameriquest Mortgage.
According to him, the most important lesson he learned there was to focus on one hard skill and master it. Getting truly successful is all about mastery. And the way to master something is by simulation. You have to shadow or have a mentor, somebody who can show you and teach you the way how to do something the right way.
Angelo learned a lot from Ameriquest. He learned how to overcome objections, sell and close, and how to underwrite and evaluate credit. Mastering these skills gave him the confidence to start his own brokerage company.
Starting a company
In 2007, the world was imploding. Ameriquest was about to shut down, which forced Angelo to find his own path. He was making very good money in this job, around $80k a month.
He was 25, financially stable with a lot of savings. His endgame was always to own a business, so he started a lending company. They made it through the recession. Angelo believes that it was because they followed their vision, never gave up, and gave their 1000% effort. He encourages everybody to always do the right by other people and offer great value.
Angelo knew that the way to success is to master a skill. So he focused on becoming a lending expert with his company. In a couple of years, they built enough trust with investors and shareholders and earned enough revenue to venture out into other areas within the industry. They built up an automated system too, where they could run the business in almost autopilot mode. Angelo loves the quote by Nietzsche “The man that chases 2 rabbits catches none.” This was his approach while building up his company.
After putting down the foundation, Angelo ventured out to multifamily investing with his business. At first, they did syndications, which later turned into hard raised capital.
Angelo reached a lot of success, and now he is focusing on giving back as much as he can. He is helping everyone in his team to become their best selves and create wealth.
One example of that is he gives equity to every employee in the company. Also, they only hire people from outside the industry. They don’t hire seasoned professionals because they would like to train them on their methods. Angelo prefers to work with people who are fresh out of college or coming from a different industry. This way they are open to new processes and are eager to learn.
Angelo is very proud of his employees. They are coming from all walks of life, but with hard work, they all reach great success, make a great income, and are able to purchase a home and a car. They turn their lives around and go through great transformations. The company is active in charities and communities as well, mainly in Houston.
Along with the real estate business, Angelo also got into investing in the markets and trading as a passive income. He always looked up to Warren Buffet and wanted to build wealth like him.
Today, Angelo has a holdings company, which is a diversified investment company. His team does real estate investments, mortgage-backed securities, and trades public and private equity. His company reached success in many areas.
Because of this diversification, the pandemic hasn’t affected the business critically. Unlike a lot of companies that are suffering badly right now, Angelo is forecasting 19% growth for his company this year. According to him, this pandemic makes all of us realize that the world will not go back to where it was before the crisis, and we all need to adapt. Many industries are changing right now, like hotels, restaurants, airlines, cruises, and even office buildings. Real estate investing will probably change too.
How to be a top producer
Angelo puts a lot of effort into helping his employees succeed in the company. Many of his employees are top producers and loan originators. According to him, the psychological characteristics are the most important things to become a top producer. You have to be relentless and have to have the mindset of a bulldog to never give up. You need to always keep pushing, no matter how many doors get slammed in your face. The only way to truly succeed is to never give up.
Angelo’s other advice is to have a mentor or someone who can guide you and show you the way. Information is invaluable. It is also useful to go to events and masterminds, to build valuable relationships.
Angelo has always sought out new opportunities whether it is through relationships, new technology, or something new to implement.
The bright future
After scaling up the company, Angelo’s main focus has been giving back to his employees and shareholders. Currently, Angelo is focusing on scaling his business even more. He wants to grow the company, have more assets under management, raise more capital, and have higher returns. He is also looking to bring more people to his team and find more talent. Seeing his incredible success, we have no doubt he’s going to achieve it.