She goes to college, gets a degree in marketing, and at the very end of her college career she gets hooked on the psychology behind why people do things. So she ends up getting a Master's Degree in this, and builds a business helping companies with the psychology behind their customer's decisions, among other things.
Key Points to Understand the Fascinating Psychology of Why People Buy, with Melina Palmer
- Melina got her undergraduate degree in marketing
- Towards the end of her college career she got really interesting in psychology after taking a class on it and wanted to get her masters degree in behavioral economics
- But after her undergrad, Melina took a job in an advertising agency and PR firm
- She bounced around for a bit working in marketing and managerial positions at a couple companies
- She spent 10 years looking for a master's program in a field that didn't exist yet
- A few years ago, behavioral economics took off and she joined a program to get her masters in it
- She's now a master of the psychology behind why people buy things
- After getting her master's degree, she went out on her own and started her own consulting business
- She also started her own podcast, centered around behavioral economics
- Melina got into the field very early and that's helped her grow her brand significantly
- She now helps a large variety of companies in a variety of different ways by leveraging her human psychology skills
- Who is your success role model? Ellen DeGeneres
- What is your biggest success? Her Inc.com column with over 100,000 downloads
- What does a typical day for you look like? She spends most of her time writing, researching, and spending too much time on social media
- What is your favorite quote? "Defying Gravity"
- What are your hobbies? Singing and travel
- What is the best business book you've read? A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? Pay attention and ask questions
About our Guest, Melina Palmer
Melina Palmer, host of The Brainy Business Podcast, has dedicated her career to seeking answers to questions like, "Why do people buy?" and "What can encourage consumer behavior?" for herself and her clients. Melina earned her Master’s in Behavioral Economics from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology conducting a research project on improving savings behaviors using simple nudges. She loves to bring innovative practices to organizations and help bring BE concepts from academia into application. At The Brainy Business, Melina works with global corporations and entrepreneurs to understand the small changes that can make a big difference in product programs, pricing, change initiatives, branding, internal communication, and making marketing messages “brain friendly” to increase engagement and ROI.