A serial entrepreneur who started in web development and internet marketing turns the tables and dives into real estate investing. He now flips single-family rentals and is venturing into commercial construction with multi-million dollar goals.
Key Points on Entrepreneur Secrets You Need To Know
- Tyler was always entrepreneurial. He has been building websites since the age of 17.
- He wanted to scale up with his partner who he met online, but the business failed.
- Tyler started freelancing instead of building a company, so he could focus on his studies as well.
- He went to study computer science in college but soon switched to business. This led him to get interested in real estate investing.
- After reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, he ended up buying a house hack with the help of his parents. He started learning about renting.
- Although he got very passionate about real estate investing, he got a job in Internet Marketing in San Diego instead. Soon he got into affiliate marketing, which made him continuously learn as it was a constantly changing industry.
- Tyler ended up building a large internet marketing company with his partner, which grew to $10M/year in revenue.
- However, they were very reliant on Facebook and the algorithm changes affected them so badly that he had to let that company go.
- He went back to real estate investing and purchased a property with cash from his savings.
- At first, he wanted to build a single-family portfolio, so he got into flipping. His focus shifted over time to ground-up development.
- He also started commercial construction as it was very scalable. His company is focusing on the rehabs of buildings in urban areas.
- Currently, he has 4 rentals and 2 Airbnbs. He would like to get into Airbnb more because according to him, 1 Airbnb makes the same income as 5 long-term leases.
- In the future, Tyler would like to focus on new construction and grow the commercial construction business. They are expecting $2M in revenue for 2020 by building 20 single-family homes.
- Who is your success role model? Warren Buffet
- What is your biggest success? The very first property he ever bought.
- What does a typical day look like for you? He wakes up around 7 AM, drops off his kid at preschool, and heads to his office. He works on finances and manages construction projects during the day.
- What’s your favorite quote? “You can always take the high road, it’s less crowded there.” – Warren Buffet
- What are your hobbies? Spending time with his kids and working out
- What is the best business book you’ve read? Ryan Holiday – Stillness is the Key
- If there was one key piece of advice you could leave our listeners with about achieving success, what would it be? If you can approach one aspect of your business or life and improve on that every day, in a year you’ll be amazed by the results.
About our Guest, Tyler Weaver
Tyler Weaver is a serial entrepreneur with starts in web development and internet marketing. He transitioned into real estate investing with a focus on flipping and owns single family rentals as both long term and short term airbnb. Focusing on the process of construction he has ventured into commercial construction with his partner which is on target for 2mm+ in 2020